1.The concept of the teacher(who is a teacher?)
2.Obligations of a teacher (performance in class, society and school).
-proper time management
-ready and organized for duty.
-learners expectation that the teacher will change behavior.
-focus on expectations from the school administration.
-expectations from the society that a teacher should be a leader and role model.
-a teacher should be prepared to teach anytime.
-be creative and come with new ideas
Ideally the obligation of the teachers is creativeness .
-available to provide services when needed.
Respect work and authority at all times.
3.Socializing and interaction of the teacher (between learners , members of the staff and society members)
Among the areas of interest include:
-readiness to work anywhere with anyone.
-a teacher should have interest in all people.
-a teacher is expected to maintain reasonable distance reasonable social, professional and academic distance between themselves and learners.
-teachers should carry themselves around with decorum and avoid embarrassing others or themselves, avoid shameful situations, avoid temper.
- The person of the teacher (conducts of the teacher, respectful to learners and members of staff).
5.Code of dressing – decent dressing and well groomed.
- The language of a teacher (the teacher should use proper language).
PURPOSE OF ETHICS OF TEACHING.
1.To make teaching profession a unique course, to be a mentoring profession which has intention of creating a desired community in education and the society hence facilitating transformation and modernization of the society. And be above other professions.
- To prepare a teacher to have unique qualities only found on teaching profession eg. Integrity, humility, responsibility,
- To bring about integration of different perspectives of teaching.
4.To prepare teacher with legal framework of the teaching profession.
- It is through ethics of teaching that we have innovations in teaching.
NATURE OF ETHICS OF TEACHING.
- It is a course that is social, professional, technical and academic. It is dynamic as it responds to development in education and society.
- Are the determinants of the quality of teaching hence combinations the learners capacity.
- Ethics of teaching promotes the image of a teacher and teaching Profession.
- Ethics ensure that teaching is done in a conducive environment.
ORIGIN OF ETHICS OF TEACHING.
- Cultural practices especially related to socialization.
- Teacher education programme especially teacher preparation where professional teaching concerning education are articulated.
- Teaching experience where creative and innovative teachers are able to develop and pick up the best product of teaching.
- Directives and guidance from relevant education authorities concerning education and conduct of teaching.
- Development in education (research, emerging perspectives in education).
- Disasters and crises in the society. The population growth, the leaner characters etc.
IMPORTANCE OF ETHICS OF TEACHING IN INSTRUCTION.
- Development of the learner and the society – ethics of teaching are the vehicles of individual learners and society, ethics promote initiative, creativity and innovativeness of learners which promote national development.
- Development of conducive learning environment – ethics establish teacher-student relationship hence promotes learning and enable the teacher to impart required information to the learners and share his experiences with the learner.
- Inculcation of emerging trends in learners in the learners – ethics provide opportunities of adapting to and adoption of innovation in teaching such as learner centered approach and democracy.
- Ethics of teaching are supposed to be instruments not only for modernizing instructional technology but also promoting quality and equity in the learning.
5 . Promotion of both the image of teacher and the profession.
- Integration of the nature of ethics of teaching promotes integration of the elements of instructional programmes.
- The role of the ethics of teaching- the use of the ethics of teaching is an expectation in instruction, if ethics are NOT observed eg respect to learners, and stake holders, There will be poor learning outcome.
- The development of creativity and innovativeness of learners – use of ethics provides the teacher and learner with opportunity to discover for themselves and their potential in instructional programme.