QUALITIES OF A GOOD TEACHER
Should be well trained in professional skills and academic qualification.
mature and able to guide and counsel learners, responsible.
knowledgeable and well informed in teaching and general knowledge.
a teacher must have managerial and leadership skills so as to mobilize resources for teaching.
properly prepared to guide and counsel, mentor, role model and nest example in the society.
Innovative through creation of unique things and situations for instruction.
Teacher image – how teachers view themselves in the public and what others consider a teacher to be
ETHICS OF TEACHING AND THE TEACHER IMAGE.
performance of the teacher – to depict image of a teacher they must conduct their duties completely according to guidelines and attributes. This makes leaners respect him and the profession. Respects what the teacher stands for in the society and his profession.
Personality of the teacher – the teacher is expected to be responsible for all their actions (should be decisive) impression the teacher makes with those he interacts with.
Integrity of the teacher – teachers are expected to conduct themselves respectfully,honorably, dignity, which increase esteem in the teacher.
Staunch proponents of teaching profession-as a teacher you are expected to demonstrate and adhere to ethics of teaching and be seen as a strong supporter of the profession.
- ETHICS OF TEACHING AND THE LEARNER.
- Promote opportunities for learning efficiently.
- Creates and encourages teacher learner relationship.
- Facilitates development of talents as learners can express themselves freely.
- Provides wide range of learning opportunities through social, educational, technical demonstrations.
- Introduces new perspectives to learning.
- Links the learner to outside environment ie illustration by the teacher from the environment.
- Promotes personality of learner as well as the teacher’s(confidence and objectivity) honesty and commitment.
- Produces responsible and dignified individuals in the society.
ETHICS OF TEACHING AND IMAGE OF TEACHING.
-Dignify teaching profession. They also give teaching profession recognition and treats it as a special career in the society. Recent studies show that teaching is not a popular career.
*teaching is a stepping stone, if you can teach you can do anything..
-wide spread of untrained teachers has depicted teaching as open door career.
-casual treatment of teacher education.
Upcoming careers seem lucrative.
Existing schemes of service of teachers is not attractive.
-poor quality teacher education programme
-refugees in the profession.
Role of ethics of teaching in improving the teaching profession image.
1 . Gives teaching profession a special status among other careers, expected principles and practices in the profession are unique, technical and greatly social. It’s through ethics that these attributes can be practiced.
- They draw attention of general public to the potential of preparing and creating desired society. This course prepares the prospective teacher on how to create the desired society.
- Through performance of serving teachers the society is likely to recognize the role of the teacher and the profession.
- Teaching provides input for ethics.
- Ethics prepare a teacher professionally hence boosting the image of the profession