History of education
EDF 211: HISTORY OF EDUCATION
MAIN EXAMINATION – MAIN, EWC, KITALE, KERICHO, NAIROBI AND ODERA AKANG’O
2011/2012 ACADEMIC YEAR
Answer TWO questions from EACH section
- “History of Education contributes to the preparation of would-be teacher.” Discuss the appropriateness of this claim. (17mks)
- With appropriate examples from any ONE of the ancient educational systems studied, discuss any FIVE lessons that could be relevant to modern education in Kenya. (17mks)
- Discuss the factors that contributed to the rise of medieval universities in Europe. (17mks)
- “There was an educational re-awakening during the Renaissance period in Europe.” Using appropriate relevant examples, explain some of the developments witnessed in this historical period. (17mks)
- Using appropriate examples show how European Christian Missionaries played a role in the introduction of Western Education in colonial Kenya. (18mks)
- Discuss the role of Africans in the development of their own education in colonial Kenya. (18mks)
- “Kenya’s educational landscape in the independence era is punctuated with periodic commissions.” Using any ONE exampld outline its aims and explain FIVE recommendations. (18mks)
- Trace the challenges of teacher education in Kenya since independence. (18mks)
University of Nairobi
Answer Question ONE and any other TWO Questions.
1(a) Define the following:
(iii) History of Education
(b) Explain the importance of the study of history of education in teacher education
- Describe the system of Education in ancient Athens and show its contribution to modern education.
3(a) Describe the causes of the Renaissance
(b) Explain the influence of Renaissance to Education in Europe.
- Explain colonial policies of education in Africa and illustrate their influence on the education of Africans.
- Explain the reasons for the negative attitude by Africans to Western Education in Kenya up to 1920.
- Describe Kenya”s challenges in the realization of the goal of education for all (EFA) BY 2011
Rongo University College
History of education
a).Define the following terms
i.history of education(2marks)
b). discuss four contemporary issues in Kenyan education.(10marks)
c). explain the methods which were used to impart knowledge in African traditional education.(10marks)
a).”The study of history of education is necessary exercise in shaping the future proficiency of the student teacher” illustrate this proposition.(10marks)
b). Explain five socio-economic factors that have led to rapid displacement of traditional African education by modern education.(10 marks)
a). Compare the ancient education in Egypt and Greece in terms of their aims, content and structure.(10marks)
b). Discuss 5 factors that led to scholasticism movement (10marks)
Discuss the major recommendations and achievements of the following education commission.
i.the ominde report(1964)(7marks)
ii. the Mackay report (1981)(8marks)
iii.the koech report (5marks)
Explain the contribution of the following scholars towards the development of educational theory and practice
i.Jean Jacques Rousseau (1712-1778)
ii.John Dewey (1859-1953)
iv.Ivan IL lich(1926)
v.Maria Montessori (1870-1952)
History of education
ANSWER QUESTION ONE(COMPULSORY) AND ANY OTHER TWO.
- In your own perspective who among the colonial goverment , missionaries and Africans contributed more changing African education to secularism between 1920 and 1945? (30mks).
- Justify why teacher in training should study the history of Education course. (20mks).
- Identify and discuss four ways in which ancient Egyptian education system contributed to the development of civilization/humanity. (20mks).
- African opposition to colonial education was the only factor which helped in the development of that education in the period of 1945-1963. Discuss. (20mks).
- What were the challenges of education in kenya between 1964 and 2012 and how did the independent governments try to solve them and with what success? (20mks)
2010/2011 ACADEMIC YEAR
FOR THE DEGREE OF BACHELOR OF EDUCATION ARTS
COURSE CODE: EDUC 111: HISTORY OF EDUCATION
TIME:2.00 – 4.00 P.M
- Answer questions ONE and any other THREE questions.
- Any ONE is compulsory.
a) Define ‘History of Education’.
b) State two ways in which the study of history of education can help improve the quality of
education and strengthen the professional competence of the teacher
c) Identify two aims of early man’s education.
d) State three distinctive features which rank man higher than other animals in as far as
education and civilization is concerned.
e) Identify four contributions of the ancient Egyptians to the development of the theory and
practice of modern world education.
f) State two factors that contributed to the rise of universities during the medieval period.
g) State three causes of the renaissance.
h) Identify two reasons why the African opposed colonial education in Kenya. (2 marks)
i) State two reasons for the establishment of independent schools by the Africans during the
colonial period in Kenya
j) Outline three roles of university education in Kenya
a) Explain the rationale for studying history of education to the professional educator.
b) Discuss the role of history of education in teacher education
a) Identify the three main educational objectives of Islamic education.
b) Discuss the major features which distinguish Islamic education from the Western type of
a) “One of the side effects of missionary Endeavour in Kenya was to produce the first
African skilled workers for colonialism”.
i) In light of the above statement, outline the objectives of missionary education in
ii) How did the missionaries fulfill the above objectives?
b) Discuss the characteristics of colonial education in Kenya.
Since independence, a lot of attention has bee3n paid to the provision o high quality and relevant
education in Kenya. Discuss the important changes that have been introduced in Kenya’s
education system since independence.
The goal of the 8-4-4 system of education was to integrate vocational and technical education
into the curriculum.
a) Briefly discuss the history of vocational and technical education in Kenya.
b) Discuss the problems faced by the vocational and technical education in Kenya.